Thursday, August 5, 2010

Looking at new server hardware

I was talking to my boss today as I drove him to the airport, and we got on the topic of home servers. I've been kicking around the idea of buying a server for awhile now, and now I'm really tempted to get one.

One of the biggest reasons I want a dedicated server box is so I can move my Perforce server off my desktop. For some reason I always hate having to leave my desktop running so I can have Perforce access when I'm away from home; it feels like such a waste. The idea of hosting my Perforce server on a dedicated server box really makes my nerd side happy :). In addition to that though, my boss pointed out I could run backups through that server as well, which is another big priority for me since I don't have any backup systems running for my home network.

I've been looking at the HP EX495 MediaSmart Home Server. It has some pretty good spec's on it, and the price is pretty good. Guess we'll see what happens

No comments:

Post a Comment