Friday, March 26, 2010

Looking at website stuff

Finally decided I need to start learning more about web technologies. This area has been a big hole in my field of knowledge, and I figured I need to address that. First thing first has been figuring out WHAT web technology to learn, there are quite a few options out there and narrowing them down is a little daunting.

I'm leaning heavily toward ASP.NET, as I'm passingly familiar with the .NET framework now and feel comfortable working in that sandbox. There's also the huge benefit of being able to use Visual Web Developer IDE, which at first glance appears extremely powerful and well documented. My boss has worked on web stuff on and off for the past 10 years or so, and original came from a php background. He's been rebuilding his website with ASP.NET MVC, and he's enjoying it quite a bit. Personally too, I really don't feel like learning php/javascript all that much. I could learn them, but since I'm currently working on 2 other projects right now, I really don't have a ton of extra time to spare learning completely new languages. Being able to work in libraries and frameworks I'm already working in (.NET) is a pretty big draw.

The next step is actually finding a hosting plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment